Adrienne, is a un-computer savvy girl who got her computer savvy friend Ron (he actually went to school for computers) to teach her how to use a blog. The reason for her interest in blogging? After telling a tale to one of her friends he suggested that her story should be put into blog form. Adrienne has many random thoughts that she wants to share with the world and so now she has begun a blog. Please be patient with her horrible grammar, maybe someday she will tell you why it is so bad.

Friday, November 03, 2006

I Love to sing...but I'm afraid to

Something happens when i sing in church it feels so great to hear my voice soar as I worship the Lord. Apart of me is filled with pleasure at hearing my voice. Yet, sometimes I wonder if I am being an exhibitionist when i sing in church. i wonder if I am showing off. I don't claim to have the greatest voice but my voice is above average. I'm pretty sure that it is pleasant to the ear. Sometimes I decide not to sing because I'm afraid that I am being prideful buuutttt I find singing can be a euphoric experience. I love it! So why shouldn't I do it? When my heart resonates with the lyrics or mood of a song why should I hold back?

The trouble is when does worshipfull music become performance and when does performance become worship? IE: D? is played on the Uk radio in the top 20 but they are typically considered 'worship' music. Or when does Darlene Czysek (sp?) of Hillsong become just Darlence C gone solo?

We have all these worship music gurus Chris Tomlin, Tim Hughes, David Crowder etc etc and to tell you the truth they all sound the same....the same old anthem type of music with crescendos and descendos at the right places to create the right worship melody. I'm sick of the lack of creativity! I know I know I'm getting all Phil Chalmers on you but it is a conflict I have been struggling with for the past five years now.

Recently I went on a church web site located in Kingston Ontario, they had a music player that you could listen to and it was the first time I actually liked the worshipful music being played! It was edgy creative and folky. Tre cool, hopefully I'm going to go visit the church when I go and see my friend Pam.
And so ends my controversial rant on church music.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you should hold back on singing because you think you're good. If you were bad, I would understand why you might want to hold back, even though God really just likes it if you make a joyfull noise. But in Church, I've never thought to myself "That person is such a good singer and they're signing well just to show off!" but rather is like "That person sucks... they should stop being so loud" or "That person dancing around and waving their arms is making me uncomfortable because I'm not used to that stuff." I realize this is prideful but I'm just being honest here.

I'm with you on David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, etc. They all sound the same and I would never want to buy one of their CDs. The whole point of worship music is that it is simple and actually worships God... So why give so much love to the song writers??

You should write about how most new worship songs aren't actually worship songs, even though they're songs about Christianity. Even though I love the song 'tell the world' and I think it's a great Christian anthem, it just isn't a worship song. Only one verse is about God... the other verse, the bridge and the chorus are all about me. How did we get to this point??

12:23 AM

 
Blogger Adrienne said...

Mike you are great! You make me laugh. I'm, so glad you are on the train with me on this one. Ya, lets not glorify the musicians. Oh I could go on and on about worshipful music and how all music is worship music but I won't.
Ya some people in church gotta tone it down a notch. But thank goodness we know how to learn grace!

9:30 PM

 
Blogger Sven said...

i read all comments.
thank you for yours.
insightful.
-stephen

6:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home